Friday, June 21, 2013

Parameters

Today I decided to write about something that has been bothering Anthony and myself. Since we have become parents and taken our little Max into the world, we have noticed that people do not have good boundaries. I have always known this for the most part with being a therapist but it has occurred to me that people have REALLY poor boundaries when dealing with children on multiple planes. Here are a few scenarios in our minds:

1. Poor boundaries with behavior:

Here is the situation. Anthony was working and Max and I stopped in to see him at Starbucks. We were enjoying our beverages (Me: Iced coffee with toffee nut; Max: Gerber Good Start Gentle) when a man and his two small boys came into the store. The boys were approximately 6 and 8 years old respectively. The 6 year old boy promptly told the wonderful Starbucks Barista what he would like to drink and gave the floor to his older brother. The older brother stepped forward and here is the conversation that ensued. We will call the boy Todd just so we have a name.

Todd: I want a Venti Vanilla Bean Frap
Dad: Todd, I told you that you could only get a tall drink today
Todd: But I want a Venti (loudly)
Dad: I told you no, you are only getting a tall
Barista: So a Tall Vanilla Bean Frap?
Todd: No stupid, I said I wanted a Venti (said in the Veruca Salt Type Voice)
Dad: I said TALL TODD
Todd: I want a Venti!
Dad: We are going to need to make  a change on the other drink ordered. We need to add Vanilla to it.
Todd: Yes, and make mine a VENTI
Dad: and make his a Venti (points to Todd)


WHAT???????????????????????????????????

Am I the only one who thinks this might be the worst parenting EVER! Why would we want to reward bad behavior in public, disobedience, and worst of all rudeness to someone in a service position. UGH. Disgusted!

2. Poor boundaries with physical touch

My baby is adorable and yes his hair is soft and his little feet are to die for but that does not give you the permission to touch his body. This is not a problem with people who know Anthony and I and have a place in Max's life but random man in Wal-mart...keep your hands to yourself.

3. Poor boundaries with my child's image

It is NOT okay to share a photo of my baby on your facebook to people I may or may not know. There are pedophiles out there. There are kidnappers. Yes, I may be paranoid but I have Fort Knox type privacy settings on my facebook for a reason. Please don't share my child's pictures no matter how cute you think he is. There are predators out there and my baby is precious to me. Share your children's pictures if you wish but think about what you would feel if I shared them with people you had no acquaintance with.

Is it me, or should I be annoyed?!

Ring in..I'm curious

Anthony, Erica & Maxwell


1 comment:

  1. Erica,

    I 100% agree on everything you said. First of all, "Todd" is never going to learn about reality if Mom and Dad give in to him constantly. Second, I get soooo aggravated when ANYONE shares pictures of my kids on facebook. Irritating! Especially if I don't know people on their friends' list.

    ReplyDelete